10.12.2007

Learning Japanese Characters

Friday, 12 Oct 07, 8.33am at home

Morning morning morning diary..

I found out something interesting about learning chinese characters or, Japanese call it Kanji. As you can see from the pictures, seems that every word has story behind it. Perhaps this is how the ancient chinese created their own language. When I think of it, I imagine a group of pithecanthropus erectus gather in a big cave with some candles in it, they are discussing symbols that they all can understand. Once finished, the leader will draw the symbols on a stone while others copying it on their own stone-notebook. If I imagine how these symbols were created, it's a very touching story, isn't it? But when I imagine how I did so badly in my Kanji Quiz yesterday, "uhuk..!". Maybe at that time, they drew direct symbols, they drew eye exactly like eye, they drew river exactly like river, they drew door exactly like door. But now, they have simplified the characters, I know it's to make us easier to write but the symbols are no longer too clear to guess. *So you prefer to go back to the stone-era?*

Japanese language is even more difficult! How can one chinese character have different sound depending on the context? One simple example: this word 人 (means: person) can sound as 'hito', 'nin', or 'jin'. And there are 2 other types of Japanese characters. They just mix these 3 types of characters in sentences. Now it's our job to remember (or to guess) which words use Kanji, which words use Hiragana, and which words use Katakana. They now adopt more and more words from English, these are written in Katakana. You know, for a beginner like me, I have a hard time reading the characters. Once I manage to read it, I have another hard time to guess whether it's originally a Japanese word or adopted from English. Some words are very hard to guess, like:
- Duraibu = Drive
- Sutato = Start
- Tosuto = Toast
- Saisu = Size
- Taipu = Type
- Doburu Rumu = Double Room
After I spell it, then I can roughly guess. Now what I can do is to wait for them to adopt all words from English then Ai kan supiku Jepenisu furuenri, retsu jasu hopu, tuenti yurusu Ai wiru waitu (I can speak Japanese fluently, let's just hope, twenty years I will wait).

-Abbie-

9 comments:

Antony Pranata said...

Pertamax!!!

Eh zaman pithecanthropus erectus udah pada bikin simbol yah?

Well... aku gak ngerti kanji blas... pake bahasa komputer ae comment-e yah...

while (!fluent_in_japanese()) { learn_japanese(); }

Jess said...

Wah...pas aku baca kalimatmu terakhir dlm bhs "jp" ala yap2.. Aku serasa udah amat menguasai bhs jp. Tp seru yah..kyk maen tebak2 an kata.. Hahaha..

AbigaiL said...

Ko, while (!fluent_in_japanese()) { learn_japanese(); } <<< jadinya apa??

Iya seru maen tebak2an kayak maen TTS aja tiap hari..

Dian said...

LOL!!! that was hilarious tho...
But yea..recently I just told my friend the same thing.. that to notice if the jap words were adopted from english, just see those words that ended up with "u" when said.. (on top of the head..except cake..cos I think they say it ending with "ki")

like this: ueddinggu keiki.. (wedding cake)

LOL!

Antony Pranata said...

Jadinya... bingung yap...

Abis aku bingung boco Jepang... Tahu-ne boso komputer; yo tulis pake boso komputer ae.

AbigaiL said...

Yes QQ, you're rite. Learning Japanese is quite interesting except the Kanji part, my teacher once told me, we can spell those words adopted from English with our own style as long as people can understand and we can write it in Katakana.

Ko, Ron udah njelasin arti while (!fluent_in_japanese()) { learn_japanese(); } >>> keep learning till I can speak Japanese fluently, correct??

::aLb3rta:: said...

while (!fluent_in_japanese()) { learn_japanese(); } = keep learning till I can speak Japanese fluently ???

omo..omo... makin puyeng de...

Antony Pranata said...

Wah si Fenie ini... sampe di-lega-ke nanya mas Ron. Hahaha... :)

AbigaiL said...

La penasaran sampe ga isa bobok..