7.17.2008

Exactly One Year in Tokyo

Thursday, 17 July 08, 3.55pm at home

Hey diary,
Today is a special day. I've been staying in Tokyo for exactly one year today. One more hour then it's exactly the time when I arrived Tokyo one year ago. Phew, time went by so fast. I've gone through the whole four seasons here. Actually I missed autumn. I mean, I was here during autumn but I didn't enjoy the popular Japanese colorful yellow-orange-red leaves! *Why?* I completely forgot about that! I was still in the process of adaptation to this new environment, I was still busy settling down myself, and I was busy balancing my savings with high expenses here. So, having holiday was on my last priority list. Stupid me. But, it's okay. God gives me another opportunity to enjoy the fall this year.

Ok, now is a perfect time to see a mirror. When I first arrived Japan, many things were in my mind. I really wanted to know what would I be doing one year later.
- Would I have bought a house and settled down?
- Would I have mastered Japanese language?
- Would I have found my ideal job and worked comfortably?
- Would I have adapted to this Japan environment?
- Would I have found friends and community?
- Would I have adapted to my husband's life style, considering that I had just got married?
- Would I have had a baby?
- Would I have dressed up like Japanese girls and worn a pair of high heels boot, at least once?
- Would I have changed my hair style finally, considering that I had already been using this hair style for more than 10 years?
- Would I have been able to cook a decent meal for my husband, at least one menu?
- Would I have recovered from 'high-living-cost shock'?
- Would I have slimmed down and reached 48kg?
- Would I have climbed up to Mt. Fuji 10th level?
- Would I have had my confidence of bathing nakedly in public and experienced Japan sauna (onsen)?
- Would I have saved good money?
- Would I have planned to go back home?
- Would I have gone back home???

These are just some of the questions that were crossing into my mind. You wanna know the answers for each question? Yes? No? Don't care? Up to me? Ok, I'll give you the answers briefly here: no, no, no, yes, yes, yes, no, yes, no, yes, yes, no, no, no, yes, yes, no. Sorry if it's difficult to match the questions with the answers. So, there are 8 Yes and 9 No. What does it mean? Am I doing well? Do I pass? Do I fail? Ah, I should just make one more question to make it even. "Would I have mastered house-cleaning-skills?", my answer is "Yes". So, 9 Yes, 9 No. Not bad.

So, now what's the next thing? Wait for July 17th 2009 and answer these 18 questions again and compare and analyse? Haizz.. this list is so useless. What am I doing here?? Would I have done something useful, at least once??

-Abbie-

6 comments:

Antony Pranata said...

Pertamax!!!!

Wah, lah iki jawaban-e mesti ngurutke sendiri. Asem tenan ik.

Eh masih mau tinggal 1 taun lagi? Bukan-e kontrak-e abang Rony cuman sampe 2008?

AbigaiL said...

Hihihi.. Aku masih gak tau Ko. Kontrak sampe 2008 itu kontrak minimum harus tinggal sampe 2008, lebih malah boleh, pindah juga gpp.

neetha said...

Hi,
I think you are doing a very useful thing there. Taking care of your house and your family is indeed a very important thing, the most important thing in our duty as a wife. Besides cleaning and cooking, you are doing the finances, supporting your husband morally, researching areas, finding ways to go to places in Japan, etc. Ask Ron, kalo ga ada kamu, emang dia tau gimana cara ke Tsukiji? Dan kalo ga ada kamu, emang dia bakal betah di Japan? I think the answer is no,no. You are the pillar of support in his life!

AbigaiL said...

OMG! I never thought about that. Many times I, as a wife, forget how important a wife's role is to the husband and family. It's because I feel that people around us don't really appreciate that "Ibu RT" role whose jobs are only cooking, washing, and cleaning the house. They usually only respect those wives who can contribute financially to the family because that's the only thing that we can obviously see with eyes. Well maybe they don't think so but at least that's what I think. So, that makes me believe that my "Ibu RT" role isn't so important because it can be easily replaced by hiring "Pembantu Rumah Tangga". Eh kok malah curhat. Eniw, Thanks Neetha for encouraging me! =)

Antony Pranata said...

Oh jadi-ne mau tetep tinggal di Jepun sampe taun depan nih. Hihihi....

AbigaiL said...

Blom tau sampe kapan Ko. Let's see what will happen. Daku trima nasib aja lah. =)