11.21.2008

New Meal Style

Friday, 21 Nov 08, 9.22am in office

Good Morning diary,

Usually for breakfast, I bring some bread or cake from home and I have it in office. I like having breakfast and drinking hot coffee slowly in the morning while checking my email or browsing the Internet (or blogging?). I’m having my coffee now and I just had my breakfast, a real heavy breakfast! You know what? Starting yesterday, my breakfast style has been slightly changed. I don’t bring breakfast from home anymore because I want to taste what the real HK breakfast is like. So, I bought breakfast at a shop near my office. Yesterday, I bought Siu Mai and Jeong Fan which made them cost HK$10. The portion was just nice for my morning stomach. Today, the Siu Mai was finished, only left the Jeong Fan. I don’t understand Cantonese but I could at least understand when the auntie said “Siu Mai wan le, wan le”. I was so disappointed because I just had a ‘fun breakfast’ yesterday but there is no more fun breakfast today hiks.. The auntie asked me “Jeong fan, 5 khuai jien? 10 khuai jien?”. So I said, “10 khuai!!” with super confident. I thought $10 portion is my morning stomach portion but it turned out to be sooo much because the price of Jeong Fan is much cheaper than the Siu Mai. Fyi, Jeong fan is the long-white-transparent-skin kind of dimsum but with empty filling, and there are some (at least 4) sauces and sesame seeds on top of it. So, it’s very ‘eneg’ if you have it too much. Next time I’ll buy $5 of jeong fan if there is no more siu mai. It’s a good lesson to learn, don’t be ‘nggeragas’!

For dinner, this is usually what I do. For simple meal (e.g fried egg, fried instant chicken drumstick, instant noodle), I can cook just after I reach home from work because my husband is still able (read: he has no choice other than) to wait. But for medium-level-of-complicated meal, I usually prepare the necessary ingredients a night before and cook it again on the N-night. My husband is also willing (read: standing in front of my kitchen door with yelling-stomach but he has no choice other than) to wait. For high-level-of-complicated-meal, I usually cook on weekend, put it in the fridge, and reheat it over and over again, and we can have it for the first 2 or 3 days after weekend depending on the “food quality”. My husband is so nice because he will happily eat the same meal for 2-3 days (read: quietly eat with no comment, but his meal portion is getting smaller and smaller from day 1 to day 3). Yea, I agree with you, I also pity him; I’m a very understanding wife, am I not? That’s why I give him these 3 options for his dinner menu “Which level of meal complicatedness do you want me to cook for you?” Again, he’s so sweet by answering my question “Up to you, for me it’s all the same” with no-expression face. Is there any hidden meaning from his answer?

Of course I’m more understanding than that. I also offer him option 4; for instant and fast meal, I ask him to have dinner near his office or take-away some food and eat it at home. But he’s tired of having the oily-pork-Chinese food all the time. So, it’s not my fault, is it?

-Abbie-

3 comments:

Antony Pranata said...

Hawker centre di Singapore emang gak ada duanya... chicken rice, mie siam, ... :)

Eh btw, kemaren weekend aku dengan suksesnya masak gudeg Yogya. Hoahahaha.... enak tenan loh makan gudeg Yogya di Canada.

AbigaiL said...

Koko, give me the recipe dongggg!! I suddenly want to eat gudeg jogja juga nehhh...

Betulllll... emang di spore tu paling gampang cari makanan, di hawker centre maupun di food court kopitiam, enak2 dan murah2 pula!! Di sini itu yg murah jorok, yg mahal ya mahal.. hiks..

Antony Pranata said...

Wah recipe-e secret je... hahaha...
Aku dapet recipe-e dari tante Grace. Dia bilang bumbu Inti yang warna ijo (bukan yang warna merah loh). Cuman entah di HK ada gak yah. Kalo gak ada bumbu inti, di beberapa web site di Internet ada yang mencoba meracik bumbu inti ini sendiri. Masalah-e bahan2e ada gak di HK yah.

Selain itu, perlu juga slow-cooker. Nah ini nih, aku sampe bela2in beli slow-cooker $25 kemaren buat bikin gudeg.

1) Pertama2 taruh itu daun salam ama lengkuas di bagian bawah slow-cooker.

2) Nah terus taruh telor ama tahu di atas-e. Kalo tante Grace bilang ayam-e dimasukin sekalian. Tapi kemaren aku masukin ayam-e malah jadi ancur. Jadi nanti weekend ini, aku mau coba ayam-e masuk terakhir, tapi dimasak setengah mateng dulu. Nantikan hasil percobannya minggu depan.

3) Lah bumbu inti itu direbus sama gula jawa and santen. Mesti yang manis, kalo gak entar gudeg-e tawar. Kalo perlu tambahin garem, merica ama ketumbar.

4) Masukin hasil rebusan itu ke slow-cooker.

5) Di-set ke slow cooking, tungguin semaleman. Hihihi... :)